Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Nu-Relics Power Windows
American Auto Wire Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & Custom
Danchuk Catalog

Username Post: Replace trunk floor brace on 54 sedan        (Topic#365951)
Posts: 4

Reg: 07-29-21
07-30-21 09:57 AM - Post#2824165    

Anyone know how to get the old trunk floor brace out? This is the last trunk floor brace next to the tailpan on a 1954 Chevy 210 sedan. The trunk floor is in good shape so I do not need to replace it.


Frequent Contributor
Posts: 2472

Loc: Southern MN
Reg: 03-15-04
07-30-21 11:50 AM - Post#2824166    
    In response to DDT

I'm pretty sure that it's spot welded in place. Removing it would require identifying where the spot welds are and drilling them out. There are drills made specifically for that and work well. If your trunk floor is solid you don't want to do anything that would distort it.

Age: 67 at the moment
1950 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery
1953 BelAir Convertible Project
2002 Heritage Springer FLSTSI
1930 Model A Standard Coupe

Posts: 4

Reg: 07-29-21
07-30-21 02:19 PM - Post#2824170    
    In response to eplantage

Thanks. That is kind of what I was thinking, but if someone had done it, they may have some other insight.

Do places like Home Depot carry that drill? Is there a specific name for it? Thanks again for the reply

"6th Year" Gold Supporting Member
Posts: 618

Loc: Georgia
Reg: 05-06-10
07-30-21 02:27 PM - Post#2824172    
    In response to DDT

I have seen the spot weld drill bits at NAPA and O’Reilly Auto Parts, so might be available at the other parts stores as well. Not sure about Home Depot.

"5th Year" Gold Supporting Member
Posts: 891
Loc: central north carolina
Reg: 12-07-08
07-30-21 02:38 PM - Post#2824173    
    In response to DDT

I believe I have heard that bit called a "rose or rose tip bit"

"7th Year" Silver Supporting Member
Posts: 3198
Loc: Kaleva, Michigan
Reg: 09-28-12
07-30-21 03:37 PM - Post#2824177    
    In response to whiskey1954



49 Deluxe Sport Coupe, 4.8/4L60E swap in progress, MII IFS, Blazer rear axle, 4 wheel power disc brakes, power steering, air conditioning. /album...

Site Ambassador
Posts: 15320

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Reg: 11-27-04
07-31-21 09:25 AM - Post#2824204    
    In response to tommy49

You don’t need a special bit depending on how you want to replace it. You can drill straight through the spot weld from the trunk and use the holes to do rosette mig welds to weld the new brace in. You can grind away at the welds from the bottom with a mini belt sander (I have one from Harbor Freight that is actually pretty good) or a cutting wheel on a grinder if you don’t want to put holes in the trunk floor, but you will be welding upside down underneath the car to mig weld it back in. You just have to grind away only the thickness of the brace and it will pop off the trunk floor. You may need to chisel it off if you don’t quite get all of the weld or it’s just stuck from being there so long. An old straight blade screwdriver and hammer works well if you don’t have an air chisel. You only need the Rotobroach or Blair Cutter, which are like mini hole saws, if you are trying to save what you are cutting off. Since you are throwing away the old brace, you don’t need to worry about that. If you decide to get one though, I prefer the Blair Cutter because it has a spring loaded centering pin. I drill a shallow divot with an 1/8” bit to keep it centered in the weld.

Friends don’t let friends drive Fords.

1999 Silverado Z71 4X4 extra-cab short bed
1983 Malibu Fauxmad - tubbed
1978 El Camino Kustomized
1972 Monte Carlo
1957 210 handyman wagon
1957 Nomad sport wagon
1957 Cameo Carrier

Posts: 4

Reg: 07-29-21
07-31-21 12:38 PM - Post#2824211    
    In response to wagonman100

Thank you very much. I guess my next step is to clean or DA that part of the trunk floor to find the location of the spot welds. Then drill away! I would rather MIG from the top than lay under the car

I see you have a 1972 Monte Carlo on your post. Is that a car you have now? My next project is a 1970 Monty with stock 4speed and a stock bench seat. Unfortunately it does not have the stock engine.

Posts: 4

Reg: 07-29-21
08-04-21 09:23 AM - Post#2824470    
    In response to DDT

I started drilling out the spot welds. I also see that the gas tank supports overlap the trunk floor support and the trunk floor support is welded to the four supports that are on the very rear area of the floor. NEW QUESTION--will the trunk support come out in one piece? It looks to me that there is not room to take it out and put new one in without some other major cutting somewhere.

"13th Year" Silver Supporting Member
Posts: 303
Loc: dallas texas
Reg: 10-04-04
08-06-21 08:00 AM - Post#2824632    
    In response to DDT

You may need to upload some pics of what you are trying to accomplish. Is it the brace that sits on the frame that the body bolts go through? If that is in bad shape the rear trunk area is usually rotted also..


Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options
Report Post

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.12 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 11:29 PM