Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!
Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
American Auto Wire Classic Industries
Join the Community todayDanchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomEcklers AutoMotive
Nu-Relics Power Windows
Impala Bob's Bob's Chevy Trucks Bob's Chevelle Parts Bob's Classic Chevy

Username Post: Do I have a Vortec or TBI engine?        (Topic#356424)
Posts: 1

Reg: 04-20-19
05-15-19 06:30 AM - Post#2766442    

I recently bought a car with a 262 4.3L V6. It has been converted to carburated. No computer, no nothing. Valve covers say "V6 Vortec" but given the info I've been looking at, some key features like the cilinder head's material, make me think I have a TBI engine. I'm trying to rebuild this engine but everyone keeps asking me if it is a TBI or Vortec for them to give me the correct parts. Is there any way to know for sure if it is a Vortec or TBI? Previous owner told me engine came from a Blazer. Didn't know the year or the exact model. Vehicle has a 6T Automatic Transmission and a New Process Gear transfer with code 231.

Senior Moderator
Posts: 28979
Age: 49
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-01-03
05-15-19 07:39 AM - Post#2766446    
    In response to DeepSpaceSailor

Depending on year and model the 4.3 could have a carb from factory, TBI, CPI, MPFI...that's where the confusion comes from. Also there are other significant differences depending on year as GM introduced a balance shaft into the design in the early 90's. If you can find any identifying numbers on the block it may help members more familiar with the 4.3 V6 to assist in identifying what you've got.

Adding to confusion, the early 4.3 V6's in the fullsize trucks say "Vortec" on the valve covers yet have the throttle body (TBI) induction system - the swirl port heads are known as Vortec, although the fuel system is TBI.


06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

Silver Supporting Member
Posts: 2478
Loc: Belchertown, MA
Reg: 04-06-03
05-15-19 07:54 AM - Post#2766449    
    In response to someotherguy

  • someotherguy Said:
the swirl port heads are known as Vortec….


Adding to the confusion. Great, my 193 swirl port heads are Vortecs….LOL

Just toying with you on the heads......GM had a lot of labeling/name changes/crossovers during this period which yes, did add much to the confusion of ID'ing something.....albeit made much worse when somethings been changed or removed.

Senior Moderator
Posts: 28979
Age: 49
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-01-03
05-15-19 08:59 AM - Post#2766454    
    In response to scrambldcj8

Yeah well, on the V6 it didn't help that the valve covers say "VORTEC" on 'em! "It's a Vortec! No, it's a TBI!"


06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

Posts: 194

Reg: 05-01-14
05-15-19 07:33 PM - Post#2766506    
    In response to DeepSpaceSailor

TBI stands for Throttle Body Injection. If yours has a carbureter, it's not injected so it's not a TBI. It might have been at one time but is no longer.

Edited by thx1138v2 on 05-15-19 07:34 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Senior Member
Posts: 1651

Loc: Whitewater, CO
Reg: 05-25-01
05-27-19 10:33 AM - Post#2767181    
    In response to thx1138v2

Check your block numbers.

Does it have a mechanical fuel pump mounting, or is it closed off?

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options
Report Post

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.06 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 09:06 AM