Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!
Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
Ciadella InteriorsAmerican Auto Wire Classic Industries
Chevs of the 40sDanchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomEcklers AutoMotive
Nu-Relics Power WindowsRain Gear Wiper Systems
Impala Bob's Bob's Chevy Trucks Bob's Chevelle Parts Bob's Classic Chevy

Username Post: Lost in Translation!        (Topic#344720)
Posts: 14

Reg: 06-07-16
05-14-17 04:32 AM - Post#2691171    

Hi - I'm from the UK, living in Queens NY. I keep getting caught in the translation of stuff - parts of the car, tools etc, and it makes finding tools and parts difficult, as I literally don't know wtf I'm looking for..
There's a few everyone knows:
Hood = bonnet.
Trunk = boot.
Wrenches = Spanners etc, but what do you guys call these? 2.jpg

In the UK we'd call that a panel beating kit. and the hammers Panel hammers, and the metal pieces 'dollys', or panel dollys. I'm looking on ebay and I'm finding like - 5 hits from the states and the rest are from the UK - what are these called in the States?



Posts: 14

Reg: 06-07-16
05-14-17 04:37 AM - Post#2691173    
    In response to double_dave

I'm an idiot - just found a bunch under 'dent repair dollys'... I'll keep the thread open though as there will be more

Honored Member
Posts: 27377
Loc: Katy, Tx, USA
Reg: 07-06-00
05-14-17 08:06 AM - Post#2691203    
    In response to double_dave

As you said, hammers and dollies.

Honored Member
Posts: 27554
Loc: San Francisco, CA
Reg: 11-26-02
05-14-17 09:39 AM - Post#2691217    
    In response to double_dave

There is a fairly well-known saying which goes, "The United Kingdom and the United States are two nations divided by a common language".


Those who choose an automatic transmission want transportation. Those who choose a manual transmission want to drive.

Silver Supporting Member
Posts: 113
Age: 67
Loc: Florida and UK
Reg: 05-02-17
11-26-17 12:07 PM - Post#2715800    
    In response to raycow

That was Winston Churchill - and never a truer word was spoken. I'm from the UK also - now mostly in Florida.
My favorite is the story of a brass band, which is a kind of tradition in the North of England, that went on tour in the US. They were called "The Black Dyke Mills Band".
A 'dyke' in England is northern dialect for a ditch, or 'creek' as it would be called in the US.
They toured under a different name for obvious reasons!

"2nd Year" Silver Supporting Member
Posts: 4874
Loc: Yakima, WA. USA
Reg: 12-28-02
12-04-17 12:03 PM - Post#2716851    
    In response to double_dave

I always search "auto body tools" but look for brands such as Fairmont, Proto, Snap-on, Martin, Pexto, Porter Ferguson, Streamline and the like. I try to stay away from the "kits" that are made off-shore.

1951 Fleetline
'51 Fleetline DeLuxe 2 DOOR SEDAN (Fathom Green)
'51 Styleline Special BUSINESS COUPE (Shadow Gray)
'53 6500 Dump Bed (Oxidized Red)
'50 Styleline DeLuxe 4 DOOR SEDAN (Mist Green)


Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options
Report Post

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.209 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 02:14 PM