Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Industries
American Auto Wire
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: Repair broken LT1 dist cap        (Topic#336809)
"5th Year" Silver Supporting Member
Posts: 1754
Loc: SE North Carolina
Reg: 08-19-04
06-19-16 07:04 PM - Post#2634912    

Just pulled and reconditioned heads (.003 off) from my 95 Carprice LT1. The drivers side head bumped the ignition coil wire terminal on the way out (sticks up like a little tower) and cracked about half of one side off. If you have checked the price you know they are expensive. Any experience, thoughts or war stories regarding gluing the parts back together?




Frequent Contributor
Posts: 1921

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 08-07-07
06-19-16 10:39 PM - Post#2634934    
    In response to Highlander1

Don't mess around gluing stuff. Get a new cap & rotor set. The best set, even though their Opti unit is not recommended, is the MSD. They are a matched set and high quality. I have over 200,000 mi on my MSD set on the original opti and the car lights right up every time. The Optis are sensitive to leaks and must be worked on with the right stuff. They need to be dry and the vacuum harness must be in working condition. Good luck. These LT-1 cars are not good cars if you are on a budget.

Jim B.

Edited by fbi9c1 on 06-19-16 10:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Posts: 9

Loc: Tofield, Alberta
Reg: 05-14-16
06-20-16 07:27 AM - Post#2634983    
    In response to Highlander1

I agree that the best option is the MSD unit. I went through 3 OEM optis before switching to MSD on my camaro. But if you are on a tight budget AND the crack in the terminal tower doesn't extend into the interior of the distributor the epoxy option might be doable. Even if it works the clock is ticking on the stock unit IMO.

Chevy 4 Life 
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 1393

Reg: 03-14-14
06-23-16 08:29 AM - Post#2635586    
    In response to fbi9c1

That Y I just sold my 96 SS. Got tired of all the little expensive fixes. It just never seemed to end. I replaced just about every kind of sensor, wire and hose in the 10 months I owned the car including $1000 worth of Converters and O2s.

"7th Year" Gold Supporting Member
Posts: 2926
Age: 34
Loc: Utica ny
Reg: 04-13-10
08-01-16 07:47 PM - Post#2643101    
    In response to Chevy 4 Life

Unfortunately it will likely come back to haunt you if it is not replaced. Not much bonds good to them, and it takes less than a hairline crack to jump an arc.
Then add heating and cooling and it is better to just replace it and be happy you did.

Old School GM fan FOREVER

"5th Year" Silver Supporting Member
Posts: 1754
Loc: SE North Carolina
Reg: 08-19-04
01-01-17 01:01 AM - Post#2668794    
    In response to rockfangd

Lacking a lot of spare cash, not wanting to go to the trouble of getting to the present distributor, etc, I went with a good quality "super glue." Its been four months, over two thousand miles, high speed long distance interstate driving, lots of local traffic with temps ranging from the high ninties to a few nights in the teens. So far, so good.

I first cleaned everything really good. Used denatured alcohol and cotton balls. Did this several times. The piece that broke off actually was broken into two pieces so I first glued them together. After a day I tested this bond and put a fair amount of pressure on it with no apparent effect. I then glued thin piece onto the dist cap. As you know, the rubber cap actually acts a a big band aid applying a good tight pressure all around. I even wonder if should the bond fail will the rubber cap continue to hold things together.

Now, I realize that four months is relatively short. Also, I have yet to go thru a full season of the humidity, cold and heat cycles that are experienced over the course of a winter, Just hoping that come this summer I can still give a positive report. Best wishes for the new year! Regards, Don

Incidentally, don't know what it was when the heads were reconditioned (took about .005" off to level them) but this thing really runs great. Also replaced spark plugs and spark plug wires, but it really kicks butt now.


Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options
Report Post

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.093 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 12:04 PM