Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Nu-Relics Power Windows
American Auto Wire Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & Custom
Danchuk Catalog

Username Post: Suggestions for replacement headlights
someotherguy 
Senior Moderator
someotherguy
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-01-03
06-16-21 11:17 AM - Post#2821673    
    In response to blackhawk

Years ago, I would suggest OEM only as the aftermarket quality is pretty poor on most lenses - whether headlight, park light, or taillights...

However, GM now makes their headlights in China yet still expect us to pay full price for them. The quality is not good. I got some real GM headlights for my '06 and right out of the box, the adjuster screw shattered when I attempted to turn it. It got warrantied, thankfully. About a year later the clear coat is already peeling off one lens, and trust me it's not due to washing or any chemical exposure (I rarely have an opportunity to wash my truck.)

My wife's '06 also had new GM headlights installed shortly before we bought it. A couple years later they look terrible. Lots of tiny cracks in the plastic that don't polish out.

With all that said, IF your headlights polish out reasonably well, the next step is to clean them with wax/grease remover and then spray them with a good quality clearcoat. This is how they come from the factory and the shine will last quite a while. Without the clear, any polishing job will not last.

If yours are beyond polish and clearcoat, about your best option without spending a bundle, are the CAPA-certified option from TYC. They have lesser grades that save you only a few bucks. Even the CAPA-certified stuff doesn't fit 100% correctly and may take a little adjusting. For about $40 a side (headlight price) though on your application, they're hard to beat. The lesser-brand stuff is hardly worth even paying for.

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.118 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 11:21 PM