Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Industries
American Auto Wire
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: rear axle bearing replacement
Chevi 
Contributor

Loc: Eastern NC
Reg: 07-13-08
02-04-21 01:18 PM - Post#2813614    
    In response to Pastor J

I don't know why but I had the same problem until a member gave me some specifics. I then followed his instructions and added my personal procedures. I took pictures with the idea I would share them online with fellow Tri-Five guys. I tried to add the info and pictures about four months ago and I tried many times without any luck. Let me say this; removal of the bearing from the shaft requires a non-existent removal plate. Since I have removed axle bearings before with a Dremel tool I went to work and did the same to my 55's shafts last fall. This procedure takes a little more time but the whole job takes less than a day. Basically, remove the axle from the rear end, clean the assembly, remove the tension ring on the shaft, cut the outer bearing in half with the Dremel tool and then cut the inner sleeve as well. Be careful not to damage the shaft. I had to tie my retainer plate out of the way while I did the cutting. That is all you have to do. Now replace the bearing as per the manual. Hint; once the new bearing is on the shaft use a lead hammer to hammer the bearing and shaft back into the housing. Once the bearing stops moving HIT IT NO MORE! Sometime in the future I'll try to load the procedure again. Good Luck.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.122 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 10:38 PM