Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
American Auto Wire Classic Industries
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: LS3 in a 61 impala
DZAUTO 

Loc: Mustang, OK, USA
Reg: 12-25-99
11-04-19 07:11 AM - Post#2779522    
    In response to pvs409

• pvs409 Said:
That 62 bubble top that DZAUTO posted has a stock rear end and a stock posi unit(with girdles and better axles). It is also running in NHRA legal D/S in that race with a original rebuilt 409 2-4 barrel motor.

A stroked 409 motor and 4 or 5 speed is to me far better than a LS3 that requires expensive computers to run it and all the other installation and operational issues.

The 409 or even a small block stroker motor is a bolt in.
or even a big block Chevy motor.
My 409 stroker motor in my 62 SS 409 Hardtop has 500 HP.

Paul

Contrary to the opinion of many people about getting away from earlier generation engines that do not have all the plumbing and wiring required for computer control-----------------I gotta go with Paul's machinery.
Even though I don't presently have an X-frame car, I identify with them 100%.

Open the hood of a 62-4 409 car with 2x4 carbs (or even a 59 Tri-carb car) and it is a thing of beauty. Open the hood of a car with all that spaghetti and plastic engine cover---------------and I can't get it closed fast enough!!!!!!!!!

As Paul mentioned above, a very healthy SB400 can be built to produce LOTS of torque/power, but they just ain't got the brutal grunt of a big W-motor. I don't say that because of what I've read or heard from others. I have personal experience. I have a 70 Chevelle (that's what is running with the 62 in the video) with a very strong SB400. That 62 would probably embarrass my 70 just about as bad.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.171 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 10:32 PM