Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
American Auto Wire Classic Industries
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: Waking Up a 235
Slow Train 
Poster

Loc: Salt Spring Island, B.C.
Reg: 04-18-19
10-21-19 12:08 PM - Post#2778435    
    In response to Sting Ray

Here's what I do with my 235:

To start with, a year is nothing to worry about, I just got mine up and running after 20 years.

I use Amsoil MP in the cylinders because it is very thin and cuts rust and corrosion better than anything I've ever tried and I've been taking apart rusty stuff for 40 years.

To prime the pump I decided to make a permanent pump primer. I took an old 235 distributor, removed the cam etc. so that I could put an electric drill right on the dist shaft. It fits perfectly in the block of course and has the nice thick wide bit to drive the pump. You can watch the pressure climb on your dash gauge and then see oil flowing out of the holes in the rocker arms.

Before ever cranking it over, I flood the cyls with MP, take off the flywheel inspection cover so I can turn the engine over with a big screwdriver in the ring gear teeth. If you have one you can also use a long engine crank in the crankshaft pulley.

The thing is, if you had any rings stuck to the walls or suuck in the piston grooves, rolling it over gently before cranking with the starter is the way to go.

And to reiterate: Get a can of Amsoil MP and test it for yourself on some rusty stuff . From other forums I get sick of people who just insist on the method and fluids of their choice and won't take any further advice.

Terry
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.229 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 01:50 PM