Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!
Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
American Auto Wire Classic Industries
Join the Community todayDanchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomEcklers AutoMotive
Nu-Relics Power Windows
Impala Bob's Bob's Chevy Trucks Bob's Chevelle Parts Bob's Classic Chevy

Username Post: The MOTHER of all Chevrolet Small Block Starter threads
bobb 
Super Senior Member
bobb
Loc: paradise
Reg: 09-05-03
03-07-19 09:14 PM - Post#2761573    
    In response to BigDogSS

over the years of battling starting issues i have found that many times skinny wires create big problems. oem wiring is engineered to work with the smallest wire that will work. use big wires. cube relays help ford relays also help, an inbetween is a napa ar298. use big wires. when i add a relay to the troubled circuit i use at least 12 gauge wire to and from the relay. (not the control side) i think mine are 4 or 6 gauge. use big battery cables. if your using 4 gauge cables off your battery your in trouble. i like the ford relay cause i can bump it from under the hood. or restart it if it dies. my starter is older than dirt. i have replaced the solenoid on it a few times. thats what normaly fails on a starter. make dam sure you have the little bracket that goes on the end of the starter on there. if you dont have one on there i would recomend doing what it takes to get one on there. the way chevy bolts the starter on there is not a good design so the bracket is a good helper to a bad design.
70 L camino, grampa engine, g-force 5 spd, road rage suspension. Pray first before all else fails.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.126 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 03:40 PM