Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
American Auto Wire Classic Industries
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: complete electrical shut down
japete92 
"5th Year" Silver Supporting Member
japete92
Loc: No. Virginia
Reg: 01-18-13
02-20-19 08:31 AM - Post#2760351    
    In response to junky

This reply is general in nature; not to the any particular response.

I bought a custom 2 ga battery cable from:

https://www.batterycablesusa.com/2-g...les-2-awg.h...

I had them add two 12 ga wires; one to replace the wire to the horn relay; and one if I wanted to retain the 'extra' wire that powered the power seats a previous owner added to the car. It was made up the next day and shipped. Wow, great response time. It arrived in two days; impressed with the workmanship. I installed it w/o connecting the wire to the power seats and the car started immediately and ran perfectly. Everything expect the power seats worked.

Yesterday I removed the driver's side kick panel and pulled up the carpet to get a look at the wiring to the convertible top, the power seats, and the dimmer switch.

The wiring for the top looked original and in very good shape. The circuit ( as far as I followed it) is in accordance with the wiring diagram from the '61 shop manual. There is a 40 amp (marked on the breaker) circuit breaker in that circuit. I intend to leave that as is. It always worked, is working, and I'm NOT going to fuss with it.

The wiring for the power seats was not run though the circuit breaker. It was 'added' (not surprisingly) and connected directly to the seat control circuit.

The dimmer switch look original. The wiring looks original and is run as shown in the documentation. I am going to replace the dimmer. I also decide to replace the 'guts' of the headlight switch as a precautionary measure. I bought a dimmer, the connectors to the dimmer, and the headlight switch from:

https://www.americanautowire.com

Part numbers 500042, 500286, 01995096.

As of today, I do not intend to re-wire the power seat. I bought a circuit breaker (American auto wire part 04850166) and will install that in the existing 'extra' 12 ga power line.

I'm waiting on the parts. When installed if everything works, I'm going to declare success (at least for now).

I'll update.

Pete
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.097 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 10:34 PM