Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!
Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
American Auto Wire Classic Industries
Chevs of the 40sDanchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomEcklers AutoMotive
Nu-Relics Power WindowsRain Gear Wiper Systems
Impala Bob's Bob's Chevy Trucks Bob's Chevelle Parts Bob's Classic Chevy

Ecklers AutoMotive
Username Post: Rear end ratio (gear ratio)
widall2 
Poster

Reg: 01-04-09
02-11-19 08:48 AM - Post#2759620    
    In response to widall2

Thanks to all of you for your input. From this and some from friends I think I will go with changing to a 3.36 gear. My ’55 presently has a 3.70 gear, the car was originally purchased by a lady school teacher and may have been ordered special. I used a cheap tach to check RPM so my RPM numbers may be incorrect. I like the ides of an automatic with overdrive however adaptors would have to be used and then the final ratio I believe would be too fast for the horsepower of the 6 cylinder. I have several late 50’s 3 speed plus overdrive transmissions and I would go that way if I was 20 years younger. I even have a 4 speed light duty transmission (I think a Saginaw) and a heavy duty curved side three speed plus overdrive unit that, based on articles that I have read, can be adapted to the 4 speed with minor alterations. Some day I will dig out the article and put this stuff up for sale.

One more question, will 3.36 gears fit in the ‘55/’56 third member? I have read that they will not because the pinion gear is so big that the ring gear can not be moved over far enough. That article says the third member must be ’57 to ’64. Have any of you had any experience with this?

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.115 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 09:58 PM