Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
American Auto Wire Classic Industries
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: complete electrical shut down
japete92 
"5th Year" Silver Supporting Member
japete92
Loc: No. Virginia
Reg: 01-18-13
02-08-19 03:49 PM - Post#2759418    
    In response to junky

• junky Said:
I believe that the first mistake was to connect the 2 old 12 gauge wires to the new cable. I believe that there is a fusible link located in your electrical system, and that you have blown that link, just not certain where. The good news, is that the link did what it is supposed to do, protect the electrical system. Next thing that I would do, is to disconnect the headlight foot switch from the system, because it sounds like there is a short in the switch. If I am correct about the short in the switch, that might account for the battery going dead over time.
Thinking about these 2 extra 12 gauge wires, it might be that someone had added them to fix a previous issue, or if a power seat or power windows were added to the car after it left the factory, they would have needed to add a 12 gauge wire to power them.

Junky,

Yes a previous owner did add power seat. That makes some sense for the extra wire.

I looked on the wiring diagram from the shop manual and could not find the fusible link. But I'm surely not proficient at reading electrical diagrams. I did a search, and some look like sections of wire. Is it the little section of approx 12 gauge wire on the battery cable, coming off the battery clamp? Is there some other location in the system where a fusible link would work?

I plan on attacking the dimmer switch.

Thanks.

Pete

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.068 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 01:31 AM