Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Industries
American Auto Wire
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: My '60 classic project
PLS 
"8th Year" Silver Supporting Member
PLS
Loc: Smyrna, Georgia
Reg: 06-07-12
05-30-18 08:07 PM - Post#2735453    
    In response to Bowtie Crazy

• TYTILIDIE Said:
I definitely know what you mean. If I knew then what I know now I would have not bought my 59, saved a ton of money and put half down on an already built car and just drove the darn thing. I drove my car for about 2 months before I tore it apart. It has now been 3 1/2 years! I am getting real close, $40 in parts and about 10 hours of work and I will be ready for exhaust!

I will tell you this, I was getting that "eh maybe I'll sell it" feeling the other day and after reading your post and seeing it on the rack getting an alignment I remembered why I was doing all this in the first place. Thanks for sticking it out!

Quite a few here on CT has recommended finding the best car that you want and go from there and if I was in the market for another “project”, which I’m not, that is exactly what I would do. However, there are guys that love the challenge, have the ability, the tools, the space and the desire to bring one of these classic cars back to life. You have accomplished a great deal in 3 ½ years so hang in there because I am looking forward to the finished pictures of the “cat eyes”

• 1belair1954 Said:
When I was younger I bought a 54 Chevy that had been sitting on a farm for years I proceeded to restore every last nut and bolt after 4 years and many hours of work I completed the project since then I have sworn to myself to never do this again. The money I spent and hours I put in I could have have restored a house for less.
These days with the price of chroming and paint unless the car is highly desireable its not worth it. Near the end of my build I got burnt out and it sat for a few months till I got inspired to finish it. The problem also with a fully restored car is you end up cocooning it scared to drive it don't want to put miles on it etc
These days I just buy cars the way they are and just make them road worthy and enjoy driving them.

I know the feeling of removing everything that is removal and sandblasting, wire wheel, priming and painting. I would have never imagined that there were as many parts to one of these cars. I understand the burning out because when you work for many many hours and really can’t tell much that you have accomplished it does get discouraging and like you said then you have to worry about it being damaged.

• wings59 Said:
Lamar your 60 is absolutely beautiful.
Congratulations, well done.

Thank you Larry, it still has a ways to go.

• 59Lenoir Said:
Hahaha I know the feeling! You're still lapping my progress!

Lapping you, you got to be kidding, I have been on the track so long they have completely replaced the speedway while I’ve been running. By the way do you have any progress pic's?

• Bowtie Crazy Said:
Congratulations. It is so fulfilling to see it from the start until the end. You must be a proud owner.

Heita!

Thank you Heita, it is a great feeling to be getting this close.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.179 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 10:15 PM