Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!
Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
Ciadella InteriorsAmerican Auto Wire Classic Industries
Chevs of the 40sDanchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomEcklers AutoMotive
Nu-Relics Power WindowsRain Gear Wiper Systems
Impala Bob's Bob's Chevy Trucks Bob's Chevelle Parts Bob's Classic Chevy

Username Post: Timing issues
malibu27 
Forum Newbie
malibu27
Loc: Harrisonburg
Reg: 03-15-15
01-01-18 02:43 PM - Post#2719700    
    In response to IgnitionMan

• IgnitionMan Said:
Yes, that is the correct stand alone stop plate, but DO NOT mount it the way Crane says to, that will make things much worse. Crane p/n 99619-1

If you want a complete instructions and pictures package, ask for one, they get the vacuum advance fixed correctly.

Gmvacuumadvancemodificati ons@gmail.com

There is no charge for them, and you can run the correct full manifold vacuum without problems.

Since the stroke on a 383 is long, your 10 degrees is like 14 on a shorter stroke engine, so, you are in the right places for both initial and curve, but not for IDLE.

That engine would like 18 to 22 deg/BTDC @ IDLE, but it wouldn't like it all in initial degrees. So, how to get 10 initial, and, say, 20 idle?

Simple, set the vacuum advance degrees stop to give 10 degrees, and plug the vacuum advance into full manifold vacuum. Engine will start easily, idle timing will be where the engine wants to be, engine will run better.

You definitely want to use the vacuum advance, and need to do the mods before finish dialing the carb in.

I also advise NOT using the dial back feature on any and all non-computerized ignition systems. Add a timing tape, and leave the dial back OFF.

BTW, you mentioned aluminum heads, shoot for 192/195 deg/F. Coolant temp, not cooler. Aluminum heads dissipate heat more rapidly than cast iron, too cold an engine temp with them makes for problems not easily resolve, until the coolant/engine temp is brought up.

Great! Thanks for the info. My balancer is marked all the way out to 50 degrees so I don't have to use the dial back feature on my timing light.

My thermostat is a 180*. I had a 200* Tstat and the engine wanted to diesel when I turned it off. That may have been when I still had the PCV valve hooked up and it was pulling a TON of oil into the intake. I've since deleted the PCV. And the rings have since seated. I did a leak down test and all cylinders were at 2%.

I emailed those guys. Hopefully they get back with me on the modifications. Thanks a lot.

One other thing: I am getting some starter kick back only when the engine is warm. Is that a timing issue also?
'83 chevy K20, 383, Scat Crank, Comp Cams 08-408-8, Etec 170's, sm465
'97 chevy 1500 Silverado, 350, 4L60E

Edited by malibu27 on 01-01-18 02:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.604 seconds.   Total Queries: 10   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 05:02 PM