Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Industries
American Auto Wire
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: Jag IFS Mount brackets.
Bel Air kiwi 
DECEASED
Bel Air kiwi
Loc: New Zealand
Reg: 04-24-14
12-04-16 11:41 PM - Post#2664637    
    In response to 40grit

Hi 40 Grit, I think if your buddy got a Morrison frame and a convertible he has very little to grumble about. I don't know what labor rates are like in your market but to do what you have done to your convertible shell and panels to bring them back from the dead would cost you $50K plus here and probably close to $15k for the chassis centre swap and clip.
A Morrison frame is about $20K landed here and you can't build the thing for less unless you zero rate your time. But the folks that have the skills and resources tend not to do that.
I am not entirely sure but I think the AM frame uses a Vette front and from what I hear it totally transform the vehicle.
I would not be surprised if a manufacturer left the body mounts of on a Chassis as our beloved Chevrolet is renowned for major differences in alignment, particularly at the back. That's before they got out on the road and got bashed around a bit.

The best thing you could do with a late model jag is sell it and buy whiskey, drink yourself to death slowly and happy. The problem is not the physical stitching together of the two but the complexity and reliability of the rest of the vehicle systems. They are enormously complex. As an example the late HE V12 has two complete radiators in one housing to cross feed the motor and balance cooling, put in a six cylinder radiator and it dies. Each of the twelve injectors has a single wire that runs out of the engine valley the length of the floor pan and into the trunk to the management computer.
Just to guide you, pull of the door trim on the drivers side door. That loom is more wire than you will need to run your entire convert.
I was going to put a later model fuel injected 2.0L version of the Pinto in one of my Capri's that ran carbs. The whole car was only $600 and it was a sweet running engine, and the only change was they had added a standard Ford early computer to the basic car. There were 114 more wires in the loom between the last carb version and the injected version. So I sold it for a $1000 to a young guy who thought he could wire it himself.
Pick the battles you can win would be my advice. The 3.8L V6 Holden/Buick we have here needs 7 wires to an aftermarket computer, and I would sure as hell rather do the mechanical fit up of that than the bolt in and 114 wires of the Ford.

Cheers Kiwi
48 3100 RHD, 51 Deluxe 4DR RHD, 51 Bel Air parts car, 52 Bel Air P-Glide LHD. Others 23T, 32 Tudor, 58 Edsel pacer 4DR HDT, 79 F250 351C RHD. 69,70,82 Capri. No mobile, no TV, and no Jap cars.

"They made a desert and called it peace." Tacitus

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.123 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 09:53 PM