Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Industries
American Auto Wire
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: 2ndtime50guy --- 2 door 1950 Styleline Deluxe
2ndtime50guy 
"4th Year" Silver Supporting Member
2ndtime50guy
Loc: Midwestern U.S.A.
Reg: 04-06-12
04-04-14 12:40 PM - Post#2441921    
    In response to 2ndtime50guy

It's been a great week; getting the car back on Monday after 16 years apart! Then, getting it started today, EXACTLY 16 years and ONE DAY after selling it. I did the shop manual tune up routine all the way up to the point where you have to "start the car"...and thought, well, here goes nothing! I did run two compression tests this morning, dry and wet. Bad news is:

Dry: Wet:
#1=70 #1=110
#2=80 #2=105
#3=70 #3=95
#4=110 #4=90 (How is this possible?)
#5=75 #5=110
#6=120 #6=120

All the previous owner's plugs, plug wires, coil, cap, rotor, and condenser are in great shape. They gave me better spark than the 2nd timer did for a few months. I did manage to push some mouse nest out the flywheel inspection window. I was not able to get the muffler off, but we do have some exhaust showing. I'm going to try again tomorrow to get that off. I sheared off all four clamp bolts and slugged it with a sledge until the head came off the hammer, but no dice. And no it doesn't look welded together. I need to hit it with PB Blaster and try to twist it tomorrow using a pry bar. The carb is actually doing ok as warped as it is. I did a double gasket and compensated the float settings 1/32nd" for the extra gasket. There is a mystery hole drilled in the top of the carb near the accelerator pump well. Is that stock or did a lead plug fall out? I put a piece of clear tape over it for now to keep the dust out. It looked like the Sahara Desert in the float bowl when I opened it this week. There was actually a spider nest inside it too! Weird... Also, heat riser spring is gone, so I have that flapper wedged open with a screw driver. The first start was with no choke at all--we forgot to choke it that time! The heat spacer under carb is my tried and true home made oak spacer I made last year for the pace car gig. Anyway, just wanted to get caught up with you guys. I still would like to do a build thread so I don't have to keep re-posting. Here are my youtube links:

1st Start!!

2nd Start!!
1950 Two Door Styleline Deluxe

>> My Build Thread <<

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.126 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 10:37 PM