Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
American Auto Wire Classic Industries
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Join the Community today

Username Post: Lubrication Troubles
Jack Crain 
Contributor

Loc: Wichita Falls, Texas
Reg: 07-24-11
12-03-11 06:16 PM - Post#2164681    
    In response to Keith_Knox

I changed oil and filter and hooked hp a new gauge to the oil system. On startup, gauge was readind 37 psi @750 rpm and 30 psi @450 rpm. After idling at 450 rpm for 30 min, pressure had dropped to 15 psi@450 rpm. I went tooling around the lake for a little while and during driving pressure varied 25-30 psi, depending on rpm of engine. After around 30 min of driving, I pulled back into the driveway and let the 46 idle back down to 450rpm. Pressure was still at 15 psi@450 rpm.
After reading a few differnt articles, I am confused as to how much of the oil pressure is measured. I have a 1954 235 engine that according to the number, it had a powerglide attached to it when it was new. And, I believe, from what I have read, that it is a full pressure oiling system. I have also read that only about 15% of the oil passes thru the oil filter. The place on my 235 where the oil pressure is taken is from the return line of the filter where it goes back into the block. If only 15% if the oil is being filtered, could that be the reason of the low oil pressure?
1946 Fleetmaster 4-dr Sedan with '57 235
Fenton Dual Exhaust and Intake
Dual Carter Webbers 2 barrel Carbs
HEI ignition
Front Disk Brake
T-5 Tranny

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.06 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 07:50 AM