Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!
Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
American Auto Wire Classic Industries
Chevs of the 40sDanchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomEcklers AutoMotive
Nu-Relics Power Windows
Impala Bob's Bob's Chevy Trucks Bob's Chevelle Parts Bob's Classic Chevy

Username Post: got a 70 ss now
overdrive 
overdrive
Loc: N.E. Mo
Reg: 02-17-03
09-20-09 11:14 AM - Post#1775162    
    In response to wagonman100

Update:

I've spent some time on the SS454. I've replaced all 4 springs and the lower control arm bushings. I took the vinyl off and cut a couple of small rusty spots out at the top of the rear glass and welded in new metal. I've decided to use the factory colors on everything and I repainted the rear window channel with Rust Bullet and the correct color paint for the metal that's inside, at the bottom of the rear glass. I installed a new rear glass, repaired and primered the fenders and hood, as well as the top and the trunk lid. Resealed the drip rails and replaced the bulbs that were burned out and bled the brake system. Put the 8" Rallys that were on the Nomad on it and installed new bumpers. I've repaired the level ride compressor and installed new Delco air shocks. I made an inlet filter for the level ride compressor and bought a NOS one. Sure hope I never need to buy another!

I decided to license and drive it a little before I take it off the frame, hopefully this winter. I want to know exactly what I need to repair and replace while it's apart. The trans was weak. It slipped sometimes when shifting into 2nd. I drove it to town 3 or 4 times and the trans gave out. I bought a book on rebuilding TH400s and tore into it. It was only apart a week. The VIN on the trans matches the car. The forward clutch pack friction plates had no friction material left. I installed a shift improver kit, too. Works great! I've been having fun with it. It runs very strong and burnouts and making lots of noise comes easy, but I haven't done very much of that. Don't want to tear it up before I paint it.

I just modified the exhaust to exit in front of the rear tires for now. It had no tailpipes and it had to pass a state inspection to get plates on it. The car's ugly at this stage, but it's already fun.

There's more pics in my sig.

http://www.picturetrail.com/57overdrive
'57 Belair Sport Coupe restored
'57 Nomad w/mild restoration
'57 Delray w/28K mi. unrestored
'71 Monte, restored
'70 Monte SS 454, L.A. built, restoration has begun

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.062 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 08:22 AM