Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!
Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
Ciadella InteriorsAmerican Auto Wire Classic Industries
Chevs of the 40sDanchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomEcklers AutoMotive
Nu-Relics Power WindowsRain Gear Wiper Systems
Impala Bob's Bob's Chevy Trucks Bob's Chevelle Parts Bob's Classic Chevy

Username Post: Complete rebuild of steering box/column
DZAUTO 

Loc: Mustang, OK, USA
Reg: 12-25-99
09-08-09 06:07 AM - Post#1768100    
    In response to OldDad

• OldDad Said:
Tom OUTSTANDING photo's and instructions as usual. This will certainly go into my Tom Parson's tech file. I just bought a 500 gig harddrive hoping you can fill it up with topnotch stuff like this. Question: if the alignment mark on the steering shaft for steering wheel alignment isn't in the correct position do you adjust by tie rod or relay rod to get it centered?

In all of the steering boxes/columns that I've rebuilt, I've only come across ONE steering shaft, which, when finished, the index mark on the end of the steering shaft WAS NOT pointing at top center. I checked, re-checked, adjusted and re-adjusted several times to make sure that I didn't have something installed wrong.
I finally concluded that the factory index mark was incorrect. So, I made a new centering index mark. This just so happened to be on another 57 Corvette column several years ago. To this day, that one still baffels me!
The center high point occurs in the steering box when the sector roller is perfectly straight up and when the worm gear is engaged with the sector roller at the very center position of the worm. That is the point when you "feel" the most resistance during the adjustment of the sector shaft. If properly marked, that is also the position when the factory index mark on the end of the steering shaft SHOULD be in the straight up position. And that's where you index the steering wheel onto the splines of the shaft for straight ahead driving.
After that, then the alignment and straight ahead steering adjustments are made with the drag link and tie rod adjustments.
Did I say that clearly?????

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.212 seconds.   Total Queries: 10   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 01:21 PM