Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!
Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
American Auto Wire Classic Industries
Chevs of the 40sDanchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomEcklers AutoMotive
Nu-Relics Power Windows
Impala Bob's Bob's Chevy Trucks Bob's Chevelle Parts Bob's Classic Chevy

Username Post: Non Detergent oil
rbl2 
rbl2
Loc: Mississippi
Reg: 04-05-05
02-04-08 08:41 PM - Post#1358701    
    In response to Royer

No arguement on my part. I see this as simply an exchange of opinions.

I would agree that if someone wanted to go from nondetergent to high detergent he should change the oil every few hundred miles slowly building up to whatever his normal routine is.

When I bought my 26 I was told it had run when parked 25-30 years before. The first things I did was to see if the motor was froze up by means of the hand crank. It wasn't. then I squirted MMO in each cylinder liberally, spun the engine by hand a few turns and allowed it to set a few days when I repeated this operation. I did this several times.

Meanwhile I dropped the oil and replaced it with kerosene.

After assuring myself the cylinders were well lubricated, keeping the plugs removed, I spun the engine using the starter. I then replaced the kerosene with nondetergent oil.

After replacing points, condensor, plugs, etc. I turned the key on and lo and behold the damn thing fired up. Over a period of a week or so I ran it maybe an hr and then changed the oil again. Once on the road I changed it about every hundred miles for the first few changes, then 500 for a few changes. Now I change it every 1,000, or once a year, whichever comes first.

The car runs fine. It doesn't smoke at all unless I put some MMO in the fuel. It has had it's share of gremlins though, which is to be expected after all those years of sitting.

I belieeve I am past the gremlins and now am planning on doing the body work and paint. Anyone want to help or contribute to that cause would be more than welcome to.
26 Roadster

Bill

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.085 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 07:57 AM