Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Nu-Relics Power Windows
American Auto Wire Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & Custom
Danchuk Catalog

Username Post: '89 Suburban Starter Alternatives
someotherguy 
Senior Moderator
someotherguy
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-01-03
08-04-21 10:59 AM - Post#2824475    
    In response to djackson210

The factory started using mini-starters (gear reduction) in many truck applications beginning around 1994. A new gear reduction starter will have more than enough power to crank your 350, no need for anything special unless you have some high compression modified monster in there.

Pick a good brand and be sure you get the correct bolts. The ones that mount the mini are shorter, and the correct bolts (actual starter bolts) are critical to a proper installation. Missing the target on this one ends up with broken starters, broken starter bolts, damaged blocks...

The GM part # for the shorter starter bolts is 12338064 and is super cheap even from the dealer, couple bucks each, so don't overpay online (I've seen some outrageous prices.)

Do note that you can generally buy a brand new starter cheaper than the rebuilds (plus your fullsize starter might not be accepted for the core charge) just beware the new ones are likely all from China, if that bothers you. It bugs me a bit but there aren't many options and I am running "new" AC Delco mini-starters on both trucks we have right now (2006 Silverado SS's with the 6.0 LQ9) and they have been fine.

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.2 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 06:28 PM