Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Nu-Relics Power Windows
American Auto Wire Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & Custom
Danchuk Catalog

Username Post: Hot rear drums on 1964 Impala
USCGMK1 
Contributor

Loc: Vicksburg, Mississippi
Reg: 07-24-15
06-22-21 07:03 AM - Post#2821935    
    In response to Joeyd59

Thanks for the suggestions. It has a disc/drum MC, proportioning valve, and a 10 psi residual valve for the drums. It has two separate lines for front and rear.

I did forget to mention it has the self adjustable drum set up in the rear, not sure if this can affect anything for this situation.

I looked at the pictures I took of the old drum set up and all the springs and hardware appear to be in the correct position.

I loosened up the e brake, and went to adjusting the shoes again. Got done with those then on to the e brakes, I adjusted them to the 61 manual, checked the cables for binding and the two roller wheels everything appeared in good order.

Got it all back together last night and took it for a 6 mile spin this morning. Did the back up method for the self adjusting setup. Everything appeared to be working fine, e brake worked.

Checked the drums at the gas station I turn around at for my test drives and the drums were hot but no burning smell, I did have a creaking sound when I came to a complete stop but only on the way there. Headed back to the house, on the way back to the house at the stop signs I noticed no more creaking sounds. Back in the driveway drums still hot and but no burning smell, then grabbed my temp gun and the temps of the drums were 106 and 109. Those temps seem fine to me but they feel hotter than that.

I checked the axle and it wasn’t hot, backing plates were warm but I could put my hand on them and keep them there.

So I’m guessing and really hoping it was my poor attempt at adjusting the E brake and had it too tight.

The other thing I did not mess with was the proportioning valve adjustment it is set at whatever the factory that built them has it set at. It came from Speedway Motors, I believe it’s their house brand.

I’m going to Memphis for work but plan on taking it to a car show this weekend and report back Sunday if anything changes.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.185 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 12:15 AM