Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Industries
American Auto Wire
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: Ford 9" and disc brake issues.
1956chevy 
"3rd Year" Platinum Supporting Member
1956chevy
Loc: Orlando, FL .
Reg: 05-11-01
01-24-21 06:07 PM - Post#2812850    

Attachment: SM-IMG_8937.jpg (133.39 KB) 4 View(s)

Attachment: SM-IMG_8942.jpg (134.38 KB) 3 View(s)

Attachment: SM-IMG_8944.jpg (140.82 KB) 3 View(s)

Attachment: SM-IMG_8947.jpg (141.65 KB) 3 View(s)

I have a Moser Ford 9" rear end in my '56. I bought it and the disc brake setup from Classic Chevy International in 1999. I have always had problems with the emergency brake cables being pulled too tight. I remember exchanging the e-brake cable with CCI and still had same problem.

I understand they weld the spring perches on so you have the correct pinion angle. That caused my disc brake brackets to mount the caliper at the 9 o'clock position. Every other install I have seen has the caliper at the 10-11 o'clock position, therefore providing some slack in the emergency brake cable. You can see how the e-brake cable is tightly stretched. The spring perches are square and sitting flat on the leaf springs.

I always thought I had made a mistake when installing the caliper brackets. Today when I removed them I found that the rear end housing has quite an angle to it. The housing end is not even close to being parallel to the ground. If it was, the caliper would be in the correct position.

So... does anyone have a Ford 9" with disc brakes? What is the position of your calipers? Do you have slack in your e-brake cables?

Looking for an answer. Thanks.
Keith Marang
Webmaster
Central Oklahoma Classic Chevy Club
www.55-57chevys.com

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.111 seconds.   Total Queries: 14   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 05:22 PM