Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Industries
American Auto Wire
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: Ignition switch connector
ragtp66 
Contributor

Reg: 12-09-07
05-18-20 07:53 PM - Post#2794163    
    In response to Blackimpala

Most of the companies that reproduce the wiring will not sell the connectors separately so you may have to find a good used one which is not easy as most are either brittle or melted from age or overloading. The switch itself could be the issue and not the connector sometimes the spade connectors are loose and will make intermittent contact. Also the bulkhead connectors are always suspect once they get water in and corrosion sets in. Since the problem changes doing a wiggle test I suspect you are working in the right neighbor hood. Take some time and inspect the plastic connector, the terminal ends on the wiring and the ignition switch itself and you should be able to narrow it down.

I would suggest looking for either a good used AC DELCO or NOS ignition switch, most of the aftermarket stuff seems to be very hit or miss.

My final bit of advice is to thoroughly inspect ALL of the wiring these cars are in the neighborhood of 60yrs old and between just age as well as previous owners "modifications" to put it nicely most original wiring should be replaced. Great winter project you can do yourself if you have some space and patience. A whole wiring kit for an original type harness is usually about $1500 give or take a few bucks guys will drop the same on wheels and tires but find every excuse under the sun to NOT replace the wiring. If they won't pop for a harness I would hope they would at least spend $50 and pick up a decent fire extinguisher. I learned long ago it is very cheap insurance and hopefully you never need it but could also come in handy for the guy parked next to you that would not pony up for one either.
Toys:
1958 Impala 2dr Hardtop Under Construction
1966 Chevelle Malibu Convert M20/350 Aztec Bronze
1987 Sea Ray Pachanga 22
2002 Cadillac Escalade EXT Parts chaser
2007 Trailblazer SS -gone and missed

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.148 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 12:40 AM