Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Industries
American Auto Wire
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: My '39 Master Deluxe Coupe
1971BB427 
Contributor

Loc: Portland,Or
Reg: 12-06-09
12-26-19 07:08 PM - Post#2782990    
    In response to 1971BB427

Stopped by Old Car Parts here in Portland to see if they had a pair of chrome headlight rings. They found three of them in varying states of less than perfect. But less than perfect is perfect for my build. One was a bit tarnished, one nice chrome, but missing the tensioning screw setup, and the last one had the setup, but a big dent down towards the bottom. So I worked a deal on all three, so I could piece two decent ones together.
While I was there I asked about the possibility of a locking outside door handle.....with key! Of course the owner said they never got anything like that in. Then he walked off to the back. As I was looking over my trim rings he came back out and laid a outside handle with a key in it on the counter!! So I now have a locking door handle for one side, which is all they originally had anyway. Chevy only put a lock in the passenger door back then, but my car has them in both doors, and no keys. So I'll lock the passenger door from inside, and the driver's door with my key.
​​​​​​​ When I got home I took the rings to my basement shop, and got out my sand bag and a block of wood. I tapped the dent out of the one trim ring, and it came out great. Especially since the dent is on the bottom where nobody will see minor imperfections. I polished the other decent one with Mother's and it came out good also. Success!
And my -6AN kit of fittings and hose arrived also. So I can plumb up the carb to fuel pump and finish my plumbing too. That is if it ever gets warm enough again! Barely broke into the 40's today!
I did stay in the shop long enough to mount my taillight housings, so I can finish the wiring in the back. Still need to set the front fenders/hood on and mount the headlamp buckets so I can finish that wiring too.

1969 Suburban 2wd 350
1939 Chevy passenger coupe
1937 Austin gasser 327/TH350

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.258 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 11:20 PM