Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Industries
American Auto Wire
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: AC advice on 67 Convertible
Double Aught 
Contributor

Loc: SW America
Reg: 09-28-11
07-25-19 07:09 PM - Post#2771592    
    In response to Custom670

• Custom670 Said:
I have a '70 with the factory 4 Seasons ac which I did refurbish and update to R134 when I restored my car. In addition I have installed Vintage Air and Southern Air units in several cars.

The only difference between factory and aftermarket that you will notice is that the factory unit allows you to vent fresh air into the car and heat or cool this air. The aftermarket units do not have this option.

The aftermarket units are meant to fit under the dash, so most likely you will have to fit a smaller liner in your glove box. They operate like a modern car with a cycling clutch, meaning you will have to install a new Sanden-type compressor in place of the GM A-6 style. You will need new controls (which most manufacturer's sell) because your factory selector controls are vacuum based and the new units don't use that.

My observations, based upon installation of aftermarket units in big and small cars, is that will work ok in a big car but not as good as the factory units work. That is because the aftermarket units use a smaller evaporator core and a smaller condenser. Since the idea is to cool as much air as possible and get the most volume of cold air into the car, the factory unit is better at that.

I hope you find this info useful.

Thanks for confirming I did the right thing. My car is a bit different. I restomodded a 94 LT1 into my 68. I had it converted to r134. The final cost of parts and labor was a touch under a Vintage Air set up. I would think a Vintage Air would be good to install in a non-ac car rather than one with the factory ac already present.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.171 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 11:52 PM