Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!
Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
American Auto Wire Classic Industries
Chevs of the 40sDanchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomEcklers AutoMotive
Nu-Relics Power WindowsRain Gear Wiper Systems
Impala Bob's Bob's Chevy Trucks Bob's Chevelle Parts Bob's Classic Chevy

Ecklers AutoMotive
Username Post: 1956 Bel Air
mrrmrenfield 
Poster

Reg: 02-10-19
02-10-19 08:50 PM - Post#2759599    

Hey all! I just picked up a 56 Bel Air two/ten.

The car is in great shape but not perfect - exactly what I wanted for a nearly daily-driven car.

As far as I can tell, the car is all stock with original parts. (repainted with original colors).

It does need a few things I would like to do to it and I am looking to everyone here for opinions and suggestions....

It has a decent oil leak at the rear seal where it meets the transmission. (This is the two barrel carb small block)
- Sound like a leaky rear main seal to you guys?
- How crazy would I be to buy a crate motor for this car? (assuming the bottom end needed to be rebuilt?)

The Speedo does not work (hovers at 0mph, then at highway speeds, hovers at a ambitious 110mph)
- What should I look into to fix this?

The temperature gauge does not work at all
- Is this possibly a fuse or would the panel for this be bad?

None of the dash panel lights up when the car lights are turned on (they are supposed to right?
- Am I going to have to pull the whole dash to get to this instrument cluster or is there a way to pull the speedo/temp/gas gauge cluster?

The wipers don't work (but seem like they want to) they just weakly go up about halfway then give up and go back down.
- Where should I start in looking to fix this?

As I drive this car a lot, I would like to get power brakes, and likely disc brakes at that.
- Any suggestions? Any kits that a average joe can swap out/install in the garage?

Thanks all!!!
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.081 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 09:03 PM