Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
American Auto Wire Classic Industries
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: complete electrical shut down
japete92 
"5th Year" Silver Supporting Member
japete92
Loc: No. Virginia
Reg: 01-18-13
02-09-19 10:10 AM - Post#2759473    
    In response to DonSSDD

This reply is to everyone who took the time to respond and offer help.

An update:

This morning I tried the horn. Nothing. Next I disconnected the two wires I had connected to the new battery cable, chose the oldest looking one, and connected it directly to the bolt that tightens the clamp, bypassing the wire provided on the cable. Voila! Juice! Jumped the battery and it immediately started.

I've concluded (as acardon suggested) that the pigtail on the new battery cable was a fusible link and had blown; shutting off power to everything. It was the only fusible link in the circuit which is apparently how GM made it in '63.

I still have to deal with the dimmer switch and the power seat wiring but those can wait until it gets a little warmer.

I do need a new battery cable. The ones sold by American Autowire are 6 gauge (as per the original GM spec). I was hoping to find a 2 gauge (similar to the one I have) without the fusible link; just a 12 gauge wire. I'm using a battery with a lot more cranking amps than OEM (I'm running a '383' sbc). I may be chasing my tail. I suppose I could keep the main power wire (the one that connects to the horn relay) connected directly to the clamp. But not my first choice.

THANKS everyone.

Pete

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.093 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 07:43 AM