Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
American Auto Wire Classic Industries
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: complete electrical shut down
DonSSDD 
Silver Supporting Member
DonSSDD
Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Reg: 08-21-01
02-09-19 05:23 AM - Post#2759461    
    In response to kingkreeton

I would guess a bad connection, likely a ground and or the firewall connectors.
Disconnect both firewall connectors and clean them if they show and corrosion, then see if anything works. Try the starter after reconnecting.

Start checking at the battery for 12 volts and work your way back to the firewall. The circuit breaker in the kick panel only runs the power top, windows, and seat, if wired correctly.

The original wiring in these cars only had the fuses in the fuse box and the headlight switch, no other fusible links or fuses or circuit breakers, except the one in the kick panel for those accessories. Someone may have added something but from factory, that's it.

When I have an electrical problem and the car won't roll over, the first thing I do is pull on the headlights. If my headlights are working, then I try the starter. If I have a bad ground, this test will show the bad connection under load, the headlights will go off. There can be enough connection to run the headlights but add the load of the starter, and the weak link shows up.
63 Pontiac Parisienne Sport Coupe(CDN Chev mechanically (409, 4 speed),62 Bel Air SC (sold), 59 El Camino (sold), 62 Bel Air SC(sold), 63 SWC Vette (sold),
Member #2194

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.105 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 10:24 AM