Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
American Auto Wire Classic Industries
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: Voltage Regulator Problem
persh 
Frequent Contributor
persh
Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Reg: 07-19-00
02-05-19 09:57 AM - Post#2759105    
    In response to RKF

To be honest, I would get rid of the stock alternator and replace it with an internal regulated GM 10SI. I had the same problem years ago with overcharging and I could never get anything to work dependably so I switched and have never looked back!

The 10SI was used on tons of cars/trucks in the '70s and '80s. They are cheap, easy to find and very dependable.

For the Corvair is not a "bolt-on" situation but it's very easy to make the conversion. You'll need to remove the front casting from the 10SI and replace it with the Corvair casting - it fits perfectly. The fan and pulley from the Corvair will also have to be used (the Corvair runs the alternator in the opposite direction from a regular Chevy so the fan from the Corvair is "backwards". You'll also need to replace the electrical plug since the old alternator has a different configuration - the auto parts store has these on the shelf. Redo a couple of wires and you're done. Do yourself a favor and fix it once and for all!

You can go to persh.org/pickup/alternator.htm for a little better explanation and Google for other sites if needed. (sorry there's no direct link - chevytalk url icon doesn't seem to be working today)
'60-'66 Idea Page or Corvair Stuff

Edited by persh on 02-05-19 10:00 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.088 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 07:00 AM