Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!
Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
American Auto Wire Classic Industries
Join the Community todayDanchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomEcklers AutoMotive
Nu-Relics Power Windows
Impala Bob's Bob's Chevy Trucks Bob's Chevelle Parts Bob's Classic Chevy

Username Post: Converting 53-54 To 12V truck gauges
40grit 
Contributor
40grit
Loc: Chattanooga, Tn
Reg: 07-08-13
10-22-18 06:43 PM - Post#2749300    
    In response to 40grit

The mounting plate on the left is what the truck gauges used. They were mounted side by side above the speedo in the truck. The 53 gauges mount over and under as seen looking at the plate on the right. Notice the pocket on the left hand truck mounting plate.

The solution to mounting the temp gauge was simply to cut that pocket out and weld it into the 53 mounting plate. You can see here how I mocked it up.

What was left was to put new decals on the gauge faces ($9.95) paint the housing, buy new instrument cluster lense ($30 from Chevy's of the 40's) and paint the black mask.

This leaves you with what appears to be a brand new stock instument cluster for somewhere around 70 bucks.

So there you have it. One of those modifications no one will ever know you did......unless you tell them.

I hope this helps someone out there who is looking for a gauge solution. Even if it makes them decide against this method, at least it has given them the knowledge to base their decision on. Personally, I enjoyed it and would definitely do it again.

John
Just Slightly Abrasive

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.093 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 10:45 PM