Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!
Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
American Auto Wire Classic Industries
Chevs of the 40sDanchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomEcklers AutoMotive
Nu-Relics Power Windows
Impala Bob's Bob's Chevy Trucks Bob's Chevelle Parts Bob's Classic Chevy

Ecklers AutoMotive
Username Post: Fuel sender float came apart in tank
Motorhead1959 
Poster

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
Reg: 04-03-16
10-15-18 09:58 AM - Post#2748732    
    In response to MrImpalaMan

I've noticed that there are a lot of guys on these forums that like to blame children in China for all our problems but they're whining up the wrong tree.
The cause of this is ethanol in your fuel and we have our own Government to thank for that. Even a small percentage in gasoline will cause this. When your car sits, condensation forms in your gas tank. The water from condensation is absorbed by the Ethanol and this caustic mixture goes to work on rubber and all base metals (copper, brass and zinc) which includes your carb and lots of other stuff in your fuel system. I had to replace my new 4bbl carb, fuel pump and sending unit after letting my car sit for less than 6 mos. My carb rebuilder said he'd never seen anything like it in 30 years. The inside of my carb had been eaten away and it was a total loss. Here's what I've done to prevent these issues. I replaced sending unit with one made by Spectra (the only one that claimed to be Ethanol compatible), I replaced fuel pump with Carter that claimed to be Ethanol compatible, replaced all std. fuel lines with Gates Fuel injection hoses with green lining (Ethanol compatible) and I started adding Sta-Bil Ethanol 360 into every tank of gas (*note the name-this is not Sta-bil for storage) And VERY important, I stopped parking/storing my cars with less than 1/2 a tank of fuel in them (to prevent condensation). This problem is VERY common and there's a lot more info out there than 3 years ago when I had these issues. The problem is not the "quality"of your parts, it's their incompatibility with Ethanol.
Good luck, Steve
Here's Jay Leno to explain it better:
https://autoweek.com/article/car-life/jay- leno-hat...

Edited by Motorhead1959 on 10-15-18 10:00 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.064 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 08:14 AM