Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!

Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
American Auto Wire Classic Industries
Danchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomNu-Relics Power Windows

Username Post: Non Detergent oil
2blu52 
"18th Year" Silver Supporting Member
2blu52
Loc: Montana
Reg: 03-12-02
02-04-08 01:48 PM - Post#1358377    
    In response to Royer

• Royer Said:
And thus my rationale for recommending that the oil be changed on short intervals for a while after switching to a detergent.

But lets not get into an argument. It is certainly your car and you should definitely do as you want with it. I've used nothing but detergent oils in all of my vehicles, including collector vehicles, for many years and have had no problems. But possibly I'm just lucky.

Royer

I will add this to my comments earlier. In 1950 I worked for a Shell station, the owenrs purchased the Union 76 bulk plant and we of course switched to union products. At that time detergent oils were rare and if any were of say "light duty quality". We had an employee meeting suggesting that any car out there that had high mileage on it was not a candidate for the new high detergent heavy duty "Royal Triton", but engines with lower mileage could benefit from the newer oil. I was not suggesting that some one take an engine with lots of miles with non detergent oil and change it over to detergent. Detergent oil does indeed clean the engine and as stated holds the dirt in suspension until it passes through the filter. I personally have never worried about this but then I have never owned a 28 Chevrolet either. But I did own a two owner 38 Chevrolet with 25,000 miles on it which I switched to Royal Triton and did not have a problem. Now I will go back to my usual forum.
"PEACE IS THAT GLORIOUS MOMENT IN HISTORY WHEN EVERY ONE STANDS AROUND RELOADING"

THOMAS JEFFERSON

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.178 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 11:16 AM