Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!
Silver
Gold ***Platinum***
deek01BigDogSS (6)jk56chevy (11)WarrenL (2)Jens (10)
edad2000Custom_Deluxe_20VetteGyrl (2)JohnB (2)
speedygman (7)rickityfiftyMafo971Clifford Lao502drfleetline
Jud Leowish Non-synchronized
gary635g (6)
johnhem (10)
axmaker (3)
socalarch (3)
usmile4 (8)
Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
Ciadella Interiors American Auto Wire Art Morrison.com
Exile® Battery Keeper™ 6/12 volt charger w/ LED battery monitor
Low priced Genuine GM Auto PartsHarbor Freight
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & Custom
Impala Bob's Bob's Chevy Trucks Bob's Chevelle Parts Bob's Classic Chevy

Join the Community today

Username Post: A education on Spark Plugs
technitom 
Contributor
technitom
Loc: Near Cincinnati, OH
Reg: 12-01-11
02-24-12 09:54 PM - Post#2194912    
    In response to grumpyvette

OK, after reading that, things make better sense... its more of a nudge to look in the right direction for what may answer your question, or lead you to another link that gets you there...

and I was under the impression that you was being kinda elusive or possibly sending me on a snipe hunt.(it has been that kind of week)

I was looking for a direct answer to setting engine timing with a vacuum gauge, but spent over an hour watching youtube video and running down links and sub-link to sub-links... I never caught anything that lead me to the answer I was looking for..

Part of that is my impatience, the temps are really dropping here and I wanted to finish this tune-up today so I could get back to the interior work and hopefully wrap things up by spring and enjoy the hotrod season...

I got all the info I needed about the carb... from your site of course.

and if I cant find what I'm looking for here, I head directly for your site...

just a suggestion, I wish you had a more clearly defined index, or if you do post a link, please post a reference or introduction to where that link takes you...

kinda like, for info on edelbrock carbs go here: (link) for demon carbs: (link) qjets: (link)

Sometimes I dont know where that link is going and it can be like an Easter egg hunt. I had 20 windows opened to different links at once, and truth be told, I got lost. I waded thru carb info on brands that didnt apply because there might be a link in there somewhere that will take me where I wanted to go...

I cant see the forest for all the damn trees!

btw anything I post, graphs, pics, links you are welcome to use as you see fit whether it be a good example or a perfect example of what not to do... thats how everyone learns.

BUT the next time I post a pic of a distributor cap and rotor and ask for an opinion.

I would appreciate getting your opinion here, first, before you send me to a link, that leads me to a link, of MY pics, on your site, telling me the my cap is "lightly used distributor cap" and my "rotor shows carbon arcing, which can be caused by placing the spring loaded button above the insulated washer rather than under it with only the spring poking thru (see assembly diagram)" <- the carbon tip was installed properly by the way... and did you notice the carbon buildup on the walls of the cap down towards the lip?

what else causes that? there is supposedly about 3500 mile on this motor... does it look right to you? is the coil over producing? should I be using the solid brass button? are the plug wires not conducting properly causing a buildup of energy leading to arching?

AND IF YOU TRY TO SEND ME TO ANOTHER LINK TO ANSWER THESE SIMPLE QUESTIONS... YOU BETTER TAKE ANOTHER LONG LOOK AT THAT PICTURE OF ME, 'CAUSE I'M GONNA BE COMING FOR YA! YOU OLD GEEZER!

Words are a lot like toothpaste... Once its out of the tube,
there's no getting it back in...

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.135 seconds.   Total Queries: 10   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 12:01 AM