Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!
Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
Ciadella InteriorsAmerican Auto Wire Classic Industries
Chevs of the 40sDanchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomEcklers AutoMotive
Nu-Relics Power Windows
Impala Bob's Bob's Chevy Trucks Bob's Chevelle Parts Bob's Classic Chevy

Username Post: Electric Cutoff Switch
Jim Streib 
Jim Streib
Loc: Saint Louis
Reg: 03-20-03
01-01-18 01:43 PM - Post#2719701    
    In response to 50sChevys

• 50sChevys Said:
Well Jim, regarding ‘shorting out’, I see nothing around the cold side of the solenoid post but the battery cable securely fastened to it and lots of empty space. As far as exposure for it to short, I see no difference in that and the cable being attached to the battery post to start with. Internally inside the solenoid, it’s either latched and current going through or unlatched and open. Only thing internally to short with would be the two toggle switch terminals and their both fused @ 5 amps. Feel like if it were a potential problem area, the tech boys at Hotronics after all these years, would have been on it a long time ago. However, appreciate your insight and comments on the subject.

It was no problem throwing out my thoughts and feelings as I too would like someone to throw out what they know or see to help me out with my things. I just see what has been said so far as a good discussion and we each have our own views.

I have just seen too many pictures of wiring being damaged as well as the vehicles that the wiring is in by not properly protecting things. I'm just going to throw this out too but let's say past the output of the solenoid you have a bad short on that cable that goes up forward to the starter and other things on the car and need to disconnect the switch. I as well as others might think by flipping the switch to turn off the solenoid this would happen BUT it may not as the available power off of the battery is now going to the point of least resistance (the short) and now there may not be enough or any power left to have the switch deactivate the solenoid and disconnect the battery from the short past it.

Any time you have a wire or cable off of a source of power such as an automotive battery, one needs to put in place a protection device as close as one can to where any short past the protection device is protected. While an electrically activated cutoff solenoid, manually operated master on/off switch can be used to stop the flow of power past it, a fuse, circuit breaker, fusible link, and other things can be used to where they are in place ready to react 24/7. Just like in home wiring, I do not rely on a light switch to stop the flow of power into a possible short but rely on a fuse or breaker in your main electrical panel.

Jim
1968 Chevy II Nova (Garage Find 2013)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/ albums...

https://www.youtube.com/user/StlNovas/videos

1973 Nova Custom
1974 Nova Spirit Of America

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.239 seconds.   Total Queries: 10   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 02:43 PM