Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!
Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
Ciadella InteriorsAmerican Auto Wire Classic Industries
Chevs of the 40sDanchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomEcklers AutoMotive
Nu-Relics Power WindowsRain Gear Wiper Systems
Impala Bob's Bob's Chevy Trucks Bob's Chevelle Parts Bob's Classic Chevy

Username Post: Complete rebuild of steering box/column
DZAUTO 

Loc: Mustang, OK, USA
Reg: 12-25-99
09-08-09 12:32 PM - Post#1768268    
    In response to nashvegas99

• nashvegas99 Said:
Can I get some information on the second part of my question? The side to side (slight movement) when my hands are at 3 and 9 o'clock. What's the most typical part that needs to be changed?

It could be ANYTHING. Without having your car in front of me, it's impossible to tell.
BUUUUUUUUUUUT, on 49-52 cars, the bushings in the steering box are frequently worn quite a bit.
On ALL 49-54 cars, the pin/bushings in the center steering arm are commonly worn and produce a lot of slop at the center steering arm.
Other places for excess slop is at any or all of the joints in the upper or lower A-frames, king pins/bushings and tie rod ends.
This is not easy to detect by having the car jacked up and getting under it and watching to see where slop occurs when someone is turning the steering wheel back and forth because all the load had been removed from the front suspension. You need to be under the car and observing movement of the entire suspension/steering WHEN THE FULL WEIGHT OF THE CAR IS ON THE FRONT TIRES. And this can be kind of hard to do.
BUT, to SPECIFICALLY answer your question, the FIRST two places that I'd look is at the steering box where the sector shaft comes out to see if it moves up/down or side-to-side as well as the center steering arm, for movement when someone is turning the steering wheel back and forth.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.202 seconds.   Total Queries: 10   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 09:24 PM