Gain extra benefits by becoming a Supporting Member Click here find out how!
Classic Performance Products Classic Parts
Ciadella InteriorsAmerican Auto Wire Classic Industries
Chevs of the 40sDanchuk Catalog
Hellwig Products IncPerformance Rod & CustomEcklers AutoMotive
Nu-Relics Power Windows
Impala Bob's Bob's Chevy Trucks Bob's Chevelle Parts Bob's Classic Chevy

Username Post: Complete rebuild of steering box/column
DZAUTO 

Loc: Mustang, OK, USA
Reg: 12-25-99
09-08-09 06:23 AM - Post#1768106    
    In response to nashvegas99

• nashvegas99 Said:
is there a way to change the sector shaft bushing, packing, and retainer without having to remove the entire box and column? Also, if my passenger wheel has slight "looseness" when grabbing the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and twisting, what would be the part needed to replace most likely?

Stoney,
IF, IF, IF you can get the pitman arm off of the sector shaft with it in the car and the engine in place, then yes, you can pull the sector/side cover off of the steering box with it still in the car. I personally haven't done it that way for MANY, MANY years. I've gotten to the point that I do things my way these days----------------or I don't do it!!!!
If a customer wants me to work on his steering column, engine, 4sp, rearend, etc, etc, then he has to take it out and bring it to me. As I mentioned above, I don't like to work on nasty, greasy parts or cars. Also, for example, if a customer needs his 4sp removed and rebuilt, I don't want his car around (immobile) for a few days (or an indefinite time if he doesn't have funds to pay for the repair). If he can't remove the broken item (say for example an engine), then he has to get SOMEONE ELSE to do that, then find a way to bring it to me for rebuilding.
So, my point is, yes, you CAN work on the steering box with it still in the car, but it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier with it out. And yes, that's the way I used to do things MANY years ago, but not anymore!
I'm getting too fixed in my ways in my old age. My shop is carpeted, heated, air cond, lots of electricity, lots of lights, cable TV, plumbing, cold drinks in the fridge and 2 phones. And if I get tired, I can crawl up in the boat and take a nap.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB
FusionBB™ Version 2.1
©2003-2006 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.257 seconds.   Total Queries: 10   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0800) Pacific. Current time is 02:34 AM